[CentOS] Postpone/avoid swaping while there is still free RAM.

Tue Jun 20 17:51:42 UTC 2006
Barry L. Kline <blkline at attglobal.net>

Alexander Georgiev wrote:

> There is plenty of free ram, but the kernel prefers to swap unused
> pages to disk. And later I have to wait for them to be unswapped, the
> Desktop looses its promptness - annoying.
>
> In win2k and winXP there is a registry key property which prevents
> swapping while there is still RAM.
>
> Do you know whether I can achieve the same in linux?

There has been a huge thread concerning this -- maybe even in this list.
 Use google and look for "swappiness".

The place to make the change (temporarily) is:

/proc/sys/vm/swappiness

To make it permanent, change /etc/sysctl.conf

Barry