[CentOS] Mailers and records MX

Tue Jun 20 18:19:17 UTC 2006
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:
> I've installed bind on centos 4.3.. This is a part of my config file:
>
> example.com.        IN      MX  10   mail.example.com.
> example.com.        IN      MX  15   mail1.example.com.
> example.com.        IN      MX  20   mail2.example.com.
>
> mail.example.com.	IN A x.x.x.x
> mail1.example.com.	IN A x.x.x.x
> mail2.example.com.	IN A x.x.x.x
>

> Every seems to be fine, but I'm constantly receiving messages in my 3 MX
> servers, even if mail.example.com (the less MX record) is available
> waiting for connections from outside... Why if my less mx record server
> is available the others servers are constantly receiving messages for my
> domain?
>
> Thanks for your time
> Israel

There is a sendmail milter available for dealing with this. Basically,
it can tell the backup mailservers to look for the primary before
receiving mail. This is pretty much a must if you're going to do any
volume of reliable email service. It also can look ahead for a real user
before receiving mail on a backup system. The milter is called milter-ahead.

http://www.milter.info/sendmail/milter-ahead/

It does cost a bit... for commercial use.. or is free for individual use.

John Hinton