[CentOS] Sendmail, mailertable and DNS weirdness.

Wed Jun 21 11:22:37 UTC 2006
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 21/06/06, Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net> wrote:
> I've installed a lot of Sendmail/MailScanner smtp relays on CentOS and
> i've never encountered a problem like this ...
> I manipulate the mailertable and i issue
> makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable
> to reconstruct the mailertable.
> The difference i have is that i don't use ip address but hostnames in
> the mailertable :
> domain.org    smtp:[central.domain.org]
>
> Of course central.domain.org is not an official A record but just a
> entry in my /etc/hosts file (to avoid dns resolution) ...

I should've mentioned this mailtertable was, and is, working for
another domain in the exact same form (i.e. IP rather the hostname).
It just appears to be messages which would've been routed differently
before the mailertable changes IYSWIM.

I tried rebuilding it using both "make -C /etc/mail" and a manual
makemap. I neglected to run strings just to verify the mailertable.db
contained the relevant entry but I've just done so and it does.

Will.