[CentOS] Back-leveling error?

Thu Jun 22 11:15:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 12:41 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> This is all related to my struggles with Asterfax and libtiff.
>
> I rpm -U to libtiff 3.8.2  and I am still having troubles.  So I decided
> to go back to libtiff 3.6.1 (oh and libtiff-devel that seems to be a
> prerec).
>
> So after a bit of playing that did not seem to do anything, I figured
> out to:
>
> rpm -U --oldprogram libtiff-3.6.1-8.i386.rpm libtiff-devel-3.6.1-8.i386.rpm
>
> and this seemed to work:
>
> rpm -q libtiff
> libtiff-3.6.1-8
>

> But now things seem to be even more 'broken' if possible.
>
> Did I do the backleveling the right way?
>
> How do I check?

What you did is correct ...

rpm -Uvh --oldprogram package_name1 package_name2

you can see what files are owned by a package with:

rpm -ql package_name

and you can verify a package with:

rpm -V package_name

(-V only shows output if something is not exactly as it should be ...
see "man rpm" and look at the "VERIFY OPTIONS")