[CentOS] Adobe Reader 7.0.8 on x86_64 system

Thu Jun 22 12:03:54 UTC 2006
Thomas Prangenberg <thomas_prangenberg at online.de>

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu schrieb:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> [yes, this is about a proprietary product, but I'm just asking for some
> tips/pointers]
>
> Has anyone tried installing the new Adobe Reader (7.0.8) RPM from Adobe
> on a CentOS 4.3 x86_64 box?  I just attempted an upgrade from
> AdobeReader_enu-7.0.1-1 (also RPM install), and I'm getting this error:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libGLU.so.1 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-7.0.8-1.i386
>
> It looks like Adboe wants the i386 version of that library, which is
> provided by xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU.i386.  However, I already have the
> x86_64 version installed.
>
> What's stranger is that I was able to install the previous version
> without any problems.
>
> Any tips/suggestions/flames appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

Hello Ranbir,

installed 7.0.8 a few days ago on my x86_64 box and it works like a
charm. Both the 32bit and the 64bit versions of libGLU are present on
the machine and as they coexist peacefully. Just install the i386 lib
and it should work. Integration of i386 apps is generally easy in
CentOS, works far better than in any other distro I tried.

Regards,
Thomas