[CentOS] DNS Server

Sun Jun 25 17:42:43 UTC 2006
Barry Brimer <barry.brimer at bigfoot.com>

> How do I stop having to use these DNS services and use my own?  I tried
> changing the DNS servers at my registrar but it won't accept my server.

If you are going to provide DNS services on your server, you need to
create a domain host record with your registrar for your domain.  IIRC,
this must be approved (or rather not denied) by your ISP.  Then you can
set up your name server to provide DNS services.  Keep in mind that you
must have a minimum of 2 name servers to handle DNS.  Some ISPs will
provide secondary or slave DNS services included in your service, others
will provide it for a cost, and others won't offer it at all.  Of course
you could also contract elsewhere for secondary DNS services.  Best
practice is to not have both of your nameservers on the same class C
network.

HTH,
Barry