[CentOS] DNS Server

Sun Jun 25 17:46:45 UTC 2006
Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net>

1.  Build a primary DNS centos 4.3 server, and make the required efforts
to configure it properly.  Do the required effort to have a secondary
nameserver, like using granitecanyon or other similar service if you don't
have the physical hardware just yet.  I use Bind for my dns servers.

2.  Ping it on it's static IP from a remote machine to assure it can be
seen, specifically on port 53.  You can usually block all of the other
ports with your firewall.

3.  Aim your registrar/ domain name at this new IP as the "primary
nameserver".  I find that using web forms are less cooperative than
contacting the registrar's tech support by phone and having them make the
change.  Web forms have error checking, sometimes accurate, sometimes
false positives.  Either way, the human can say things like "i'm not
seeing that on ping or nslookup/dig the same as you, let me check into
that".

4.  Audit your entire setup, bring it online.  Try using weekends for
testing.

5.  Buy a good DNS book, or download one of the FAQ's, join mailing list
for bind or other technology, and use programs like tcpdump and ngrep for
testing.  I like ./ngrep '' port 53 or similar because I can see the
server start to contact root servers as it propagates.

maybe i'll make a basic howto "Installation & Configuration of Bind on
centos 4.3" and submit it.

-karlski