[CentOS] Installing TOO USB Drive

Mon Jun 26 16:56:13 UTC 2006
Mike <centos at silverservers.com>

Eric Davis wrote:
> Here is an option,
>
>     Use VMware workstation and point the New Virtual Machine Wizard to
> a folder on your external USB drive. Install CentOS there. Be sure to
> select Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 so the proper drivers will be
> loaded. This will allow your XP system to stay intact and allow you to
> run CentOS at the same time.  I do this with my Latitude and it still
> runs quite fast! This doesn't directly solve your problem but is an
> option.
>
> Eric D
>

> On 6/24/06, *Phil Schaffner* <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org
> <mailto:P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 03:01 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>     > Mike wrote:
>     > > Greetings CentOS Fans.
>     > >
>     > > I'm working on an Inspiron 9400 Laptop.  It supports booting
>     from USB
>     > > devices, so I'd like to install CentOS on a USB hard drive as an
>     > > alternative to XP.
>     > >
>     >
>     > this might not help you, but just so you know - CentOS-4 does not
>     > support installing to or booting from usb drives. You might still be
>     > able to do it using some trick or the other, but officially its not
>     > supported.
>
>     Haven't gotten around to trying the CentOS Live CD yet.  Does it
>     support
>     customization on a USB key (like Knoppix)?
>
>     LiveCD+USB key might serve the OP's purpose as an XP
>     alternative.  (Or -
>     my preference - just shrink the XP partition and dual-boot if that
>     is an
>     option for you [e.g. not somebody else's laptop].)
>
>     Phil

That's an interesting idea, but  I'm not sure I want to fork out $200
for vmware workstation.  Do you know if vmware player would be sufficient?

I'm also wondering, if vmware is installed does it add yet another
constant process even when "not" in use?  This machine gets heavily
loaded with video editing, music recording and of course gaming...