[CentOS] Syslog

Tue Jun 27 19:06:58 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Jason Bradley Nance wrote:

>> No, logging box -- everything as far as syslog and messages is
>> default.  SELINUX not enabled.  Perms are correct on the file(s).
>> Can't seem to find anything that would be causing writes to fail, but
>> don't know for sure if anything has written yet either.  I'll give a
>> hup to named and see what happens.
>

> Have you check the signature on the binaries to make sure someone
> hasn't replaced your syslog with a cracked one?
>
> BTW, if you are running the chroot'd named most of it's stuff get's
> written to /var/named/chroot/log/*, not syslog.

AFIK, the machine has not been compromised.  It's pretty well sealed off
with the exception of myself and 2 other very trusted users. Not exposed
even on port 80.  Named is really only caching, and I do know from past
kills, it does write to /var/log/messages.  I'm very tempted to boot
again and see if something shows up somewhere else, but one of my main
jobs just started up and I hate to kill it off due to time constraints.

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
NOAA Cooperative Observer KAGS (snow)
http://wa4phy.net
Augusta Area Mesonet