[CentOS] Syslog

Tue Jun 27 20:49:17 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:28 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
>
>> William L. Maltby wrote:

>>> And I would not be surprised if just restarting it fixed it too! You
>>> know how obtuse these damn things can be!

>>> Good luck.
>>>

>> No joy.  Q.  I see a process called "klogd" is running a different pid
>> from syslogd.  I don't ever recall seeing something as klogd before??  I
>> got a sneaking suspicion I stopped something, but if I only knew what
>> besides syslogd was required.  Portmap does not apparently need to be
>> running, as nothing still has been written to the log file, and a reboot
>> did not help.  Rats.....
>>

> I have klogd too. I think it's probably related to your prob somehow.
>
> [root at wlmlfs08 InstallUpdate]# grep -irl klogd /etc/rc.d
> /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K88syslog
> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K88syslog
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S12syslog
> /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S12syslog
> /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S12syslog
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S12syslog
> /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K88syslog
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog
>

>> <snip sig stuff>
>>

> Did you get my corection to myself on ls -dl /dev/syslog? Any hope on
> that?

Yes, sure did Bill.  I knew what you meant :-).  My head hurts!  I don't
know what else to do at this point.  I'm gonna take a break and think
about it.  I restarted a bunch of services that I think used to be
running, but I really believe they have nothing to do with syslogd.  As
you stated, man syslogd and see how to start in debug mode.  Strace
starts it and detaches as it should, so nothing to really see there.

Thanks all for the help.. I'm sure I'll be back.....!

Sam