[CentOS] Syslog

Tue Jun 27 23:06:30 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:49 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
>
>> William L. Maltby wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>> I don't
>> know what else to do at this point.  I'm gonna take a break and think
>> about it.  I restarted a bunch of services that I think used to be
>> running, but I really believe they have nothing to do with syslogd.  As
>> you stated, man syslogd and see how to start in debug mode.  Strace
>> starts it and detaches as it should, so nothing to really see there.
>>

> NO! You need to run the logger in debug where it does no go into BG for
> strace to capture everything!

Bill,

    I finally figured that out, but strace generates soooo much output..
I opened syslogd in debug mode, and have been watching it for some bit
now.  When a write *should* go to messages, it appears that it is going
to "UNUSED" for some reason.  All the other logging stuff, cron, mail,
etc., all appear to be working correctly, so it boils down to theis
UNUSED whatever it is.  The actual line from the debug is this:

Message from UNIX socket: #3
Message length: 83, File descriptor: 3.
logmsg: auth.info<38>, flags 2, from thunder, msg Jun 27 18:00:01
crond(pam_unix) [4006]: session opened for user rob by (uid=0)
Called fprintlog, logging to UNUSED
Calling select, active file descriptors (max3): 3

Zat help any ?

Sam