[CentOS] Syslog

Wed Jun 28 01:25:32 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Jason Bradley Nance wrote:
>>    It was not the package itself.  It's OK.  it was the syslog.conf
>> that I had made an error in an entry I didn't catch at first.  There
>> is no such thing as a "local8" and that is what I had for logging.
>> That was what was killing the whole shebang.  I knew the syslog had
>> changed, I just didn't catch the error by being in a hurry.
>
> You said you had DEFAULT install.  Here's the exact quote:
>
> Me: "Is this a default syslog config or has it been modified to maybe
> redirect to a logging box?"
>
> You: "No, logging box -- everything as far as syslog and messages is
> default."
>
> Redirecting all logging to a different level is not default.
>
> The point is if you would have ran the command and seen that the
> config file had changed you could have looked into it and saw that
> there was something messed up.

> --
> Jason Bradley Nance                        What would you cry for?
> aitrus at tresgeek.net                          Swallow your pride for?
>            Tres Geek                       What would you go wild for?
> http://tresgeek.net/
>                                                           -Poe, "Wild"
I *DID* look at the config file, and I knew when I looked, it had
changed.  When I stated it was a default install, I meant there was no
logging box involved.  If you insist on continuing on with this dialog
because I didn't do as you stated, then take it offline.  Nobody wants
to hear two grown men bitch at each other.  As far as I'm concerned,
this discussion is over.  I made the mistake, and I admitted it.  What
more do you want? A confession?

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
NOAA Cooperative Observer KAGS (snow)
http://wa4phy.net