[CentOS] unable to write files bigger than 4GB over NFS

Wed Jun 28 12:46:07 UTC 2006
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 9:19am, Joseph Haig wrote

> Tony Schreiner wrote:
>
>> Since the replacement, when I try to write a big file from the 32bit
>> CentOS  boxes over NFS to the server, I get "filesize exceed  messages" at
>> 2GB. However this used to work with the old server. And  I can  write big
>> files if I'm logged on to the server.
>>
> I belive that the maximum file size for an NFS partition is 2G, so I am

I think that may have been the case with NFSv2, but it's definitely not
with NFSv3 or v4.

>> One more oddity, the  shared file system on the server is xfs  formatted;
>> if I instead mount a reiserfs file system I can  successfully write. This
>> part does not make sense to me.
>>
> Maybe the limit doesn't come from just NFS but a combination of NFS and the
> filesystem.

Until last week, I was running a RH7.3(!) based NFS server with XFS and
regularly using large files.

To the OP, make sure you're using NFSv3 (at least).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering