[CentOS] Kernel build on i386 and nohighmem forbidden?

Wed Jun 28 19:33:17 UTC 2006
Linus Hicks <lihicks at gpi.com>

Jim Perrin wrote:
>> Everything is from CentOS including the kernel sources. I downloaded
>> the SRPM
>> and modified the spec file to %define buildsource 1 then did an
>> rpmbuild. Then I
>> installed the kernel-sourcecode rpm that it generated. So then I could
>> run the
>> kernel config from /usr/src/linux-<version> and then build a custom
>> kernel.
>
> I think that's one of the hardest ways possible to do what you want,
> and it may very well not work.
>
> 1 Install kernel src.rpm
> 2 run rpmbbuild -bp kernel.spec to get kernel source tree.
> 3 copy $BUILDSOURCEDIR/linux-config-for-your-arch.config to
> $BUILDDIR/.config
> 4 run make menuconfig (or xconfig or however else you want to do it. )
> save config
> 5 copy config back to where you got it from, with the original name.
> 6 run rpmbuild -bs kernel.spec
> 7. rpmbuild --rebuild resulting kernel-src.rpm with --target=arch (i686,
> x86_64)
> 8 install resulting kernel rpms.
>
> rough steps, but that should be pretty much what you need to do.

Thanks for the instructions, although I don't know why that's the information
you are posting. The procedure I'm using works fine. If I turn on support for
HIGHMEM the build works. If HIGHMEM is off, I get the aforementioned error. Do
you have information for me on that issue?