[CentOS] LVM repairing or back to regular ext3?

Thu Jun 29 22:50:28 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 17:44 -0400, Paul wrote:
> On Thu, June 29, 2006 7:27 am, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 00:05 -0400, Paul wrote:
> >> Can anyone point me in the right direction for correcting errors on an
> >> HD
> >> when using LVM? <snip>

> > I just finished doing this setup for LVM and now have full boot and run
> > from hda and hdd.<snip>

> > I'd be glad to share the scripts with the list, if "The List" so
> > desires, or privately. 60KB uncompressed, does almost everything but the
> > grub-install - just haven't automated and tested it - and the needed
> > initrd modification. You won't need that if you just are replacing the
> > drive.
> >
> > Let me know if you want them.
>
> Thanks for all the info.  I'm going to practice up on LVM on my test box.
> I am totally clueless on it.  I am curious if I can change volume size on
> the fly, now that would be of use.

Yes, you can. Go to... hang tight a sec ...

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

as a decent starting point.

> What's funny is that after I was doing all the trouble shooting on it last
> night, now it's fine, no more crc errors.

I have a similar problem on my (now) hdd drive when I was booting it on
hda. After shutdown for awhile might get silent freeze, might get crc
error after it started uncompressing,  just kept playing and eventually
it would boot. My step now that I have a fall-back is to isolate, cable,
drive, IDE port, ... whatever so I know what to fix/replace. If it was
just a few of the "infant mortality sectors" making their appearance,
the drive might be good for years, based on my experience. If new bad
keep appearing, a boat anchor in the making...

> So I am thinking that the
> currupt data was on boot slice.  But I still gotta know how to work with
> LVM.
>
> And yes, send me your scripts.  I like studying various code.  I'm always
> learning.  Thanks!

Nothing fancy here since focus was on LVM learning and getting my butt
covered with a new drive and fall-back.

Want them e-mailed to you (the address at From is good and attachment
gets through firewall OK??) or I can see if I can post them at the web
page Road Runner gives me (allow a day or two to get to it - big trees
getting felled and I'm multiplexing).

--
Bill