[CentOS] Remote reboot problem

Sun Jun 4 16:40:04 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Sam Drinkard wrote:
>

>> Chris Mauritz wrote:

>>> I have the same problem with an a few old Intel 815 chipset P3
>>> boxes, but it's never annoyed me enough to fix it.  8-)  I agree
>>> with Rodrigo that it's likely some sort of acpi issue
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>> I'll try the acpi route prior to the next reboot. Just looked, and
>> it's an AMD Sempron 3100.  The machine runs flawlessly except for
>> this remote reboot problem.  I normally don't bother trying to reboot
>> except when there is a kernel update that fixes something.  As this
>> is a production machine too, I try to leave it running as much as
>> possible, and it's a PITA to have to get someone from the ISP's staff
>> to meet me at the co-lo site to let me in.  As for the arch, I
>> generally use i386 to indicate anything  intel or amd  that is not a
>> 64-bit processor, which as Jim mentioned is rather old terminology.
>> I came along when 8088's were the mainstay of computers.  Gosh,
>> thinking about that, it seems like it was a century ago !
>

> While it doesn't address the underlying problem, if it's a PITA to get
> your datacenter folks to power cycle machines, why don't you get a
> network-attached power strip?  APC used to sell them rather cheaply
> and you could telnet (or use a web interface) to remotely power cycle
> individual outlets on the power strip.  I used to have these until
> there was a security exploit and APC was slow about releasing a fix.
> So I took them all out of service and throw a case of beer at the
> datacenter staff now and then.  They're only too happy to closely
> monitor things and fluff power as required now.  :-)
>
> Cheers,

Chris, I didn't realize such an animal existed, but that would
definately help the folks save their free time on the weekends, or at
times no one is at the pop.  I used to have a device for controlling
remote stuff that was activated via dtmf tones over an RF link, but
that, unfortunately was very unsecure, however it did get used quite
often back in the days of NOS and other DL layer type packet systems.
I'm going to inquire tomorrow to see if they have any current means of
power cycling any of the racks or outlets, but as you say, fixing the
underlying problem would be the best to do.  The tech support guys don't
really complain about having to go down and meet me there, but I'm sure
their weekends are as valuable as anyone's, including mine, so anything
that would help free time stay that way would be nice.

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
http://wa4phy.net
Augusta Area Mesonet
cell 706.825.8513 Home 706.868.7253