[CentOS] CentOSPlus Kernel for 586?

Thu Jun 8 17:19:02 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 11:22 -0500, Steve wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> >I have the problem that I almost never throw anything away that can
> >still be useful. In itself, not bad. Combined with the "World We Live
> >In" (TM), a "Less Than Optimal Behavior" (SM).
> >
> >I need some of the features in CentOSPlus kernels for my 586 (K6-III).
> >

> I believe that the 686 kernel is compiled with the 586 or 486
> instruction set but optimized for i686.  (There is almost no benefit
> from using the few new i686 instructions, though a few people still moan
> about it.)  A 586 kernel I believe would use the 586 instruction set and
> be optimized for an Intel Pentium 1.  I'm not sure how much the K6-III
> would benefit from the Intel optimizations.  The K6-III was a superior
> chip.  (I really liked my 450, and you gotta love the 3 levels of cache.)
>
> If I were you, I'd just use yum the prebuilt one.

Umm... I was led to believe that I might need a 586-specific one by the
fact that the base system must provide one for installs to succeed, IIRC
and RH made a point of saying they no longer support 586. Is that just
install-time incompatibility and RH problem resolution support? If the
kernel in Plus is suffixed with -686, what's that mean to me?

Thanks for taking the time, regardless.

--
Bill