[CentOS] Syslog

Tue Jun 27 23:12:22 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:49 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
>
>> William L. Maltby wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>> I don't
>> know what else to do at this point.  I'm gonna take a break and think
>> about it.  I restarted a bunch of services that I think used to be
>> running, but I really believe they have nothing to do with syslogd.  As
>> you stated, man syslogd and see how to start in debug mode.  Strace
>> starts it and detaches as it should, so nothing to really see there.
>>

> NO! You need to run the logger in debug where it does no go into BG for
> strace to capture everything!

OK.. problem solved.  I overlooked an entry I had set up in
/etc/syslog.conf that called local8 for the new software I had
installed.  I removed the logging and stuff is now writing to messages
as it should.  Gotta figure out now how to enable the local8 logging for
the LDM software.

Many thanks to all for your help, and sorry to have caused the problem
myself.  Should have looked closer at the syslog.conf.  Didn't remember
making the change.

Sam

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
NOAA Cooperative Observer KAGS (snow)