[CentOS] Updates on Centos 4

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Mar 1 11:13:49 UTC 2006

Benjamin Smith wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2006 14:32, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>>Benjamin Smith wrote:

>>>The answer can be found here:
>>>
>>>yes "n" | yum update
>>>

>>I hope you dont do sysadmin as a profession. if you do - I fear for the
>>people you run servers for. :)
>

> You provide only a vague reference to god-knows-what form of impending doom,
> so perhaps you aren't aware of what `yes "n" | yum update` actually does? Do
> you need to read it a bit closer?
>
> Perhaps you have a better way to find out what packages are reported by yum as
> ready for update that you might want to test first?
>
> And I yes, I do sysadmin work as an integral part of my profession...

you missed the point completely ....  specifically the portion about
"....first know about the issues being fixed..." - you want to tell me
how a yum list is going to explain the issues being fixed in the pkgs ?

I guess you could parse the pkgnames into a yum-downloader script and
then --changelog check each.. suppose, that might work. But apart from
that, for critical apps, I've always recommended people look at the
issues before rolling out. eg. if you run a 5 million emails/day setup
on postfix-mysql, it might be a good idea to make sure those connectors
work before the yum update rollout.