[CentOS] to <cr> or not

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Wed Mar 1 22:45:26 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 11:23, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>> In the old days with real vi, you would:
>>> :%s/^v^m//
>>> to get rid of them, but vim doesn't like that.
>> It depends on how Vim recognizes the file.  If Vim displays the file
>> as a DOS file, it will hide the ^M and you can't search for it.
>> If Vim displays the file as a unix file, it will show the ^M at the
>> end of the line and you can search and replace it with the command
>> shown above.
>
> OK, but what would convince vim to display files with ^M's as
> unix files?  I thought it took their presence as the hint to
> display in DOS mode.

vim will assume a file is unix format if any line contains just one
single lf.  If you have a file that is cr/lf everywhere except 2 lines
from the end has a lf only line, vim will use lf mode.  It would have
been nice if it just checked the first few line or 2.

  echo -en "dos\r\ndos\r\nunix\ndos\r\n" > text.mixed

Vim text.mixed will use unix eol mode when opened.