[CentOS] Load Average

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 02:49:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 19:18, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> Sudev Barar wrote:
> >
> > No load average is not just CPU but reflects all parameters. For pure
> > CPU usage system monitor or similar tool will give better
> > understanding. Also the processes (or dameons) running will really
> > determine the expected load average.
> > But as some else said for genera usage 2~3 times x number of
> > processors is a thumb rule guide.
> > --
> >
> I don't think so. I believe, but could be wrong, that load average is
> the number of processes waiting to execute. Nothing else.
> However, I reserve the right to be wrong.

It is supposed to be the number of runnable processes (i.e. not
waiting on i/o completion) so 1 per processor is busy, higher
means something is waiting for CPU.  Most programs other than
graphics and number-crunching tend to wait more for i/o than
CPU, so a load average of 2-3 (x processors) may not reflect
noticeable delays.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com