[CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Sun Mar 5 03:16:54 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
Sent: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:15:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

  On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 09:51 -0500, lnthai2002 at aim.com wrote:
> I have a Samsung printer(ML-2010) connect to my centos 4.2 machine by
> usb. I want to share this printer with 3 windowsXP mchines in my LAN.
> Although i have install driver for the printer on all machines, use
> samba to share the printer, from the windows machine i still have an
> error"access denied, can not connect to printer" or something
similar.
> In Security Level, i have checked "trusted device: eth0, sit0" , is
> port 631 automatically open? How do i know that my problem is not
> caused by the blocked port? Hope anyone can help
If you're using IPP then 631 is enough. If you're using SMB then you
need to open ports 137 through 139 and 445, all tcp.

The printer is connect locally to the centos machine and should be
shared to other windowsXP machines by samba. So when i config that
printer on cenots, it is not IPP nor SMB but localy connected.
Thai