[CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Sun Mar 5 03:35:21 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
Sent: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:14:37 -0700
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

  On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 09:51 -0500, lnthai2002 at aim.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Samsung printer(ML-2010) connect to my centos 4.2 machine by
> usb. I want to share this printer with 3 windowsXP mchines in my LAN.
> Although i have install driver for the printer on all machines, use
> samba to share the printer, from the windows machine i still have an
> error"access denied, can not connect to printer" or something
> In Security Level, i have checked "trusted device: eth0, sit0" , is
> port 631 automatically open? How do i know that my problem is not
> caused by the blocked port? Hope anyone can help
windows doesn't use cups port

error message of 'access denied' doesn't necessarily mean that Windows
users can't print to it (that's very confusing, I know) but that
certainly means that the users can't "manage" the printer.

in samba printer share, there is an option for 'printer admin' which if
the user/group is appropriate, will allow the user/group to 'manage' the
printer, which is generally where the 'access denied' message comes from
in a samba shared printer when looking at the 'status' from Windows
'Printers & Faxes'

Generally, I would expect the problem that you are having is that you
are using 'client side' drivers and by default, cups (via samba) is
offering a postscript printer.

I don't know what the specifics of a Samsung ML-2010 are but it would
seem that you have 2 options...

1 - set the printer up in windows as a postscript printer, preferably
using the Adobe Postscript print driver and the ppd that was created by
cups on the CentOS system when you created the printer (located
in /etc/cups/ppd)

2 - set the printer options within cups to allow 'raw' printing - which
allows your samba shared non-postscript printer commands to pass through
'unmolested' to the printer (see /etc/cups/mime.types
& /etc/cups/mime.convs)

All of this is summarized in the official Samba 3 HowTo...

and things are starting to gel at the new samba wiki

for which printing support is here...

and I mention the wiki because I was drafted and am the editor of the
wiki ;-)
  The samsung ML-2010 does not have a postscript driver, it used a
samsung language II driver that is available on windows and linux. I
have read the samba-HOWTO-Collection document and config the mime.type
and mine.conv to accept raw printjob. However, the instructions are
hard to understand

    1. Edit /etc/cups/mime.types to uncomment the line near the end of
the file that has:
   2. Do the same for the file /etc/cups/mime.convs.
    3. Add a raw printer using the Web interface. Point your browser at
http://localhost:631. Enter Administration, add the printer following
the prompts. Do not install any drivers for it. Choose Raw. Choose
queue name Raw Queue.
    4. In the smb.conf file [printers] section add use client driver =
Yes, and in the [global] section add printing = CUPS, plus printcap =
    5. Install the printer as if it is a local printer. i.e.: Printing
to LPT1:.(in my case /dev/usb/lp0) I did until this line
    6. Edit the configuration under the Detail tab, create a local port
that points to the raw printer queue that you have configured above.
Example: \\server\raw_q. Here, the name raw_q is the name you gave the
print queue in the CUPS environment.

The line number 6 is not clear, i dont know what application they are
talking about for the "Detail tab". How can i create a local port and
point to the raw printer queue?
My goal is simple,
1/create a raw printer queue on CENTOS to accept any PREPARED print job
from any machine from the network
2/install a use samsung driver to prepare print job on CENTOS(same
machine where the printer is pluged into)
3/install and use windows samsung driver on windows machines to prepare
print jobs and sent them to the raw printer queue on CENTOS
 Hope anyone can help