[CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Sun Mar 5 03:35:21 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
Sent: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:14:37 -0700
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

  On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 09:51 -0500, lnthai2002 at aim.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Samsung printer(ML-2010) connect to my centos 4.2 machine by
> usb. I want to share this printer with 3 windowsXP mchines in my LAN.
> Although i have install driver for the printer on all machines, use
> samba to share the printer, from the windows machine i still have an
> error"access denied, can not connect to printer" or something
similar.
> In Security Level, i have checked "trusted device: eth0, sit0" , is
> port 631 automatically open? How do i know that my problem is not
> caused by the blocked port? Hope anyone can help
---------------------------------
windows doesn't use cups port

error message of 'access denied' doesn't necessarily mean that Windows
users can't print to it (that's very confusing, I know) but that
certainly means that the users can't "manage" the printer.

in samba printer share, there is an option for 'printer admin' which if
the user/group is appropriate, will allow the user/group to 'manage' the
printer, which is generally where the 'access denied' message comes from
in a samba shared printer when looking at the 'status' from Windows
'Printers & Faxes'

Generally, I would expect the problem that you are having is that you
are using 'client side' drivers and by default, cups (via samba) is
offering a postscript printer.

I don't know what the specifics of a Samsung ML-2010 are but it would
seem that you have 2 options...

1 - set the printer up in windows as a postscript printer, preferably
using the Adobe Postscript print driver and the ppd that was created by
cups on the CentOS system when you created the printer (located
in /etc/cups/ppd)

or

2 - set the printer options within cups to allow 'raw' printing - which
allows your samba shared non-postscript printer commands to pass through
'unmolested' to the printer (see /etc/cups/mime.types
& /etc/cups/mime.convs)

All of this is summarized in the official Samba 3 HowTo...
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

and things are starting to gel at the new samba wiki
http://wiki.samba.org

for which printing support is here...
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server

and I mention the wiki because I was drafted and am the editor of the
wiki ;-)
  The samsung ML-2010 does not have a postscript driver, it used a
samsung language II driver that is available on windows and linux. I
have read the samba-HOWTO-Collection document and config the mime.type
and mine.conv to accept raw printjob. However, the instructions are
hard to understand

    1. Edit /etc/cups/mime.types to uncomment the line near the end of
the file that has:
       #application/octet-...
   2. Do the same for the file /etc/cups/mime.convs.
    3. Add a raw printer using the Web interface. Point your browser at
http://localhost:631. Enter Administration, add the printer following
the prompts. Do not install any drivers for it. Choose Raw. Choose
queue name Raw Queue.
    4. In the smb.conf file [printers] section add use client driver =
Yes, and in the [global] section add printing = CUPS, plus printcap =
CUPS.
    5. Install the printer as if it is a local printer. i.e.: Printing
to LPT1:.(in my case /dev/usb/lp0) I did until this line
    6. Edit the configuration under the Detail tab, create a local port
that points to the raw printer queue that you have configured above.
Example: \\server\raw_q. Here, the name raw_q is the name you gave the
print queue in the CUPS environment.

The line number 6 is not clear, i dont know what application they are
talking about for the "Detail tab". How can i create a local port and
point to the raw printer queue?
My goal is simple,
1/create a raw printer queue on CENTOS to accept any PREPARED print job
from any machine from the network
2/install a use samsung driver to prepare print job on CENTOS(same
machine where the printer is pluged into)
3/install and use windows samsung driver on windows machines to prepare
print jobs and sent them to the raw printer queue on CENTOS
 Hope anyone can help
THAI