[CentOS] Re: Q's about switching from sendmail to postfix

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 6 00:41:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 16:31 -0800, John Thomas wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > I also use MailScanner as my wrapper for spamassassin and clamav and
> > find it very, very effective (don't listen to the doom and gloom folks
> > that poo poo using MailScanner on Postfix)
>
> I had MailScanner installed and it worked great.  I switched to
> Amavis-new because I was afraid the authors of postfix would stop
> support for MailScanner.  Amavis-new has the same results as far as I
> can tell.
----
it was too hard to work with (amavis-new) whereas MailScanner was a
breeze, is frequently updated, does extra stuff with quarantine,
phishing, etc.

too bad you let the doom & gloom people scare you away from
MailScanner/postfix combination.
----

> > you do these things, you can forget all about rogue networks as you call
> > them and banned cidr's because you will stop almost all the spam with
> > the proper setup and don't need to do wholesale block of ip addresses.
>
> I agree with your conclusions.  Greylisting and a tight postfix set up
> has my Spamassassin mostly idle.  In fact, I have eliminated bayes from
> spamassassin because I do not get enough spam to train it well.  I do
> use rulesdujour in spammassissn to get most of the few who make it through.
----
indeed - this list (CentOS) has a lot of knowledgeable Postfix users
which made my transition from sendmail to postfix easy and very
effective.

and a mostly idle spamassassin is a much happier machine ;-)

Craig