[CentOS] Do i have to open port 631 for LAN printing

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Mon Mar 6 17:37:49 UTC 2006

> > Hi,
> > I have a Samsung printer(ML-2010) connect to my centos 4.2 machine
by
> > usb. I want to share this printer with 3 windowsXP mchines in my
LAN.

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

> and things are starting to gel at the new samba wiki
> http://wiki.samba.org
>
> for which printing support is here...
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server
>
> and I mention the wiki because I was drafted and am the editor of the
> wiki ;-)

>   The samsung ML-2010 does not have a postscript driver, it used a
> samsung language II driver that is available on windows and linux. I
> have read the samba-HOWTO-Collection document and config the
mime.type
> and mine.conv to accept raw printjob. However, the instructions are
> hard to understand
>
>     1. Edit /etc/cups/mime.types to uncomment the line near the end
of
> the file that has:
>        #application/octet-...
>    2. Do the same for the file /etc/cups/mime.convs.
>     3. Add a raw printer using the Web interface. Point your browser
at
> http://localhost:631. Enter Administration, add the printer following
> the prompts. Do not install any drivers for it. Choose Raw. Choose
> queue name Raw Queue.
>     4. In the smb.conf file [printers] section add use client driver
=
> Yes, and in the [global] section add printing = CUPS, plus printcap =
> CUPS.
>     5. Install the printer as if it is a local printer. i.e.:
Printing
> to LPT1:.(in my case /dev/usb/lp0) I did until this line
>     6. Edit the configuration under the Detail tab, create a local
port
> that points to the raw printer queue that you have configured above.
> Example: \\server\raw_q. Here, the name raw_q is the name you gave
the
> print queue in the CUPS environment.
>
> The line number 6 is not clear, i dont know what application they are
> talking about for the "Detail tab". How can i create a local port and
> point to the raw printer queue?
> My goal is simple,
> 1/create a raw printer queue on CENTOS to accept any PREPARED print
job
> from any machine from the network
> 2/install a use samsung driver to prepare print job on CENTOS(same
> machine where the printer is pluged into)
> 3/install and use windows samsung driver on windows machines to
prepare
> print jobs and sent them to the raw printer queue on CENTOS
>  Hope anyone can help
> THAI
yeah - 6 is a bit confusing but you can actually make it simpler...

See if you can use the APW (add printer wizard) - network printer -
browse for the printer and see if the printer shows up in your
domain/workgroup and you can just select the printer which is the 'local
port'  If you can't locate the printer by browsing the network, it would
probably be a better network if you could fix the browsing problem but
the \\ip_address_of_centos_system\printer_share_name and the
printer_share_name would be the exact name of your printer as you set it
up in cups (hopefully without spaces).

If you have set mime.types and mime.convs to allow 'raw' printing then
that is your 'raw' print queue
After modify mine.types, mime.conv and printers.conf in /etc/cups such
that the raw queue(called RAW) point to /dev/usb/lp0 and the printer
queue(installed with the supported driver) pointing to the same
place(/dev/usb/lp0), windows machine can print to the printer using
their own client driver. However, from centos machine, where the
printer physically attached to, i can not print more than 1 page. In
fact, the support driver installed on centos become unstable right
after i edit the mime.type and mime.conv; i can not print a series of
page and choose print odd or even page only. Any suggestion for this
problem?
Thai