[CentOS] INSTALLING CENTOS SPARC

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 14:09:51 UTC 2006

On 08/03/06, Henry Rodriguez <henrucho_rodriguez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS SPARC on a Netra T1, but it boots from disk and
> i want to know how to enter the bios and set up that boots from cdrom. The
> other problem i have is that when the Netra T1 is booting it gets stuck when
> makes a NIS request, and says "Time out for NIS to come up".
> I know this problem doesn't have relation with CentOS but if somebody has
> installed CentOS SPARC on a Netra T1 before, i'd appreciate the help.

I've not installed CentOS on Sparc but in order to get into the OBP
(Open Boot Prompt), or "ok" prompt as it's sometimes known, you need
to send a break signal.

If you're connected via serial cable and using something like
Hyperterm from a Windows system then I think CTRL-Pause/Break does
what you need. If you've got a Sun keyboard (I can't recall if Netra
T1s have keyboard/video connections on them?) then STOP-A has the same
effect.

>From the OBP you should be able to boot from CD with...

ok> boot cdrom

I guess the NIS problem's most likely because the system's trying to
netboot? Unless there's already an OS on there and it's looking for a
NIS server.

Will.