[CentOS] Latest kernel seems to have found my second NIC

Bart Schaefer

barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 21:39:19 UTC 2006

I just yum-installed the 2.6.9-34 kernel RPMs and rebooted, and lo and
behold, my other onboard NIC is now detected, after a fashion.
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf now has entries for:

device: eth0
driver: forcedeth
desc: "nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller"

device: eth2
driver: sky2
desc: "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

The device/desc lines for both were always there, but previously the
device now identified as eth2 had neither a driver assigned nor a
recognized hwaddr, and if I disabled either device in the BIOS, then
the remaining enabled device would take on the same driver/hwaddr that
has otherwise been listed for eth0.

The odd thing still is that according to the motherboard manual, the
two onboard NICs are identical, so I still don't know why one shows up
as nVidia and the other as Marvell.  If I wasn't afraid of messing up
my working configuration I'd try deleting them both and letting them
be rediscovered, just to see if anything else changes.