[CentOS] Moving files to new server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 03:32:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 20:32, Thomas E Dukes wrote:

> I think the 'fresh' install of CentOS created an LVM filesystem which I
> don't have on the old machine.  I copied /etc passwd, groups, shadow and
> gshadow as you suggested in a previous post about a week ago.  That worked
> fine.  I copied /home, /var, /root using rsync -avz.  I think /etc got me,
> specifically /etc/fstsb.  I made a copy of fstab on the new machine but it
> wouldn't let me copy back over it after the transfer.  I'll be sure not to
> do that again.  But I'm going to need /etc/httpd, /etc/sendmail, etc, etc,
> etc...  (no pun intended).

Yes, /etc/fstab would be much different on a new LVM based install
than an old install with version-level upgrades.  Likewise for
many other config files.  You should probably copy the old
files over to some other location on the new machine, diff
against the default versions and edit in the parts you
need.  Otherwise you may be missing some new settings or
different defaults that have been added to the new versions.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com