[CentOS] mail/access revisited

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 13 15:48:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 09:48 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> As far as I know Will, sendmail looks at the access database, and will
> >> not allow a connection from the sending host if that particular IP or
> >> hostname happens to be in there.  The access list *used* to work, but as
> >> I mentioned, I'm wondering if perhaps I've hit an upper limit or
> >> exceeded a limit where nothing in there is being parsed now.  I don't go
> >> by hostname when blocking.   I look at the sending host IP and block
> >> that.  Headers from sendmail tell who or what connected to the port or
> >> tried to connect.
> >>
> > ----
> > it does if you use REJECT
> >
> > it also does things like ALLOW
> >
> > and things like RELAY
> >
> > I have never had a sendmail 'access' file with more than a few lines and
> > I don't think that it was actually intended to be a spam filter. There
> > are other very good methodologies for managing spam and sendmail is
> > quite capable of using them.
> >
> > Craig

> I am using REJECT in all cases where it applies, and RELAY for my own
> little part of the world.  I've been using access for about 10 years
> with no problems till now.  I suppose the only way to tell if there is a
> limit would be to remove some, or create a new file and test it.  I am
> fully aware of the process of how it works, and a make must be done
> after any changes.  Sendmail does not need to be restarted to read the
> new file either.
----
I agree that you should probably remove most of your 'REJECT' lines and
rehash the db and see if that helps. It wasn't I who asked if you had
restarted sendmail.

My thinking is that putting specific entries into access file to block
spam is an electronic form of the whack-a-mole game that isn't likely to
be very effective and there are other much more effective methods of
spam blocking.

Craig