[CentOS] mail/access revisited

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Mar 13 17:53:02 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 23:31, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> have listed to pass thru.  I also thought perhaps there might be some
> "upper limit" to the number of entries sendmail could handle.  What do
> the sendmail guru's think about that idea?  I may reduce the number of
> entries from the current 275 +/- down to just the most offensive TLD's
> and see what happens.  Short of that, are there any other thoughts ya'll
> might have as to why it still passes the stuff I want blocked?

On the upper limit issue, here's some output from a machine I help with (I am
not the mail admin on this machine, though, and I don't necessarily agree
with doing anti-spam with REJECT lines in access....):
[root at www mail]# ls -l access
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1120618 Feb 22 06:36 access
[root at www mail]# pwd
/etc/mail
[root at www mail]# wc -l access
38628 access
[root at www mail]# grep DISCARD access|wc -l
3121
[root at www mail]# grep REJECT access|wc -l
35480
[root at www mail]# grep RELAY access|wc -l
4
[root at www mail]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.2 (Final)
[root at www mail]# rpm -q sendmail
sendmail-8.13.1-2
[root at www mail]#
Yes, thirty-eight thousand six hundred twenty-eight lines.  Works fine.  I
don't think 275 entries hits any upper limit.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology