[CentOS] Help. Failed event on md1

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Mar 14 07:47:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 11:32 am, Sudev Barar wrote:
> > IMHO on md1 component sdb2 of raid is failing. Try rebuild using
> > mdadm. First remove the raid component sdb2 from md1 and then add it
> > back again. Some times the raid parity fails due to improper shutdowns
> > and when you re-build it is restored properly. If it does not it is
> > likely your disk is developing errors. Be aware! Carefully man mdadm
> > for details before you do anything.
>
> I apologize. I guess the panic hit me :):)
>
> Fortunately, after I remove the device:
> mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb2
>
> And then re-added it:
> mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sdb2
>
> It's rebuilding again. Pheew.. my first failed RAID event.

If this is a normal SCSI disk (ie. not SATA), I would use smartctl to
check if this disk has errors.

	smartctl -a /dev/sdb

And if you weren't already running smartd, now is a good time to check the
smartd configuration and verify it has all disks configured as well :)

	[dag at lxrh002 dag]# cat /etc/smartd.conf
	/dev/hda -H -m root at localhost.localdomain
	/dev/hdc -H -m root at localhost.localdomain

and then enable it:

	chkconfig smart on
	service smart start

This will make sure you won't get any additional sudden surprises.

Kind regards,