[CentOS] Help. Failed event on md1

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Mar 14 15:27:08 UTC 2006

Quoting Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id>:

> Well, I'm not sure what caused it. The server isn't rebooted. The kernel only
> said that on 5am this morning it encountered error on sdb2 that it cannot
> read it.

Most likely you got some bad sectors on it.  As I wrote earlier, this
is one of the first signs something is wrong with the disk.  Start
planning purchace of new disk.  You can run diagnostics on the disk
(usually downloadable from disk manufacturers support web site) to
check the health of the disk and reallocate any bad sectors found.
However, in some cases once you start getting first bad sectors, they
just keep multiplying exponentially (if they are caused by loose
particles inside the disk flying around as disk spins).

If disk is still under warranty, I'd contact manufacturer immediately
(like right now, this second).  Once I made a mistake of "fixing" the
problem couple of months before warranty expired.  And it seemed to
work OK, no more errors or such.  Disk failed completely couple of
months later, just after warranty expired.  Of course, manufacturer
(Fujitsu to name it) declined my warranty request (I'm not blaming them
here, it was my stupid mistake that I haven't contacted them as soon as
I saw the first error message logged by the kernel).

--
See Ya' later, alligator!
http://www.8-P.ca/