[CentOS] Printing problem

Jose Alburquerque

jaalburquerque at cox.net
Tue Mar 14 23:15:03 UTC 2006

Hi.  I've been running CentOS 4 since it was released (since 4.0).  I
did a fresh install and have kept it updated using up2date and yum so at
present my system is running CentOS 4.2.  I mostly use my system as a
super-user and so I can mostly do everything without worrying too much
about permissions.  Not too long ago I created a "general" user account
which is automatically logged in after a few seconds for others to have
(limited) access to the system (default desktop is GNOME).  Mostly
everything works (ie. CD/DVD writing, sound, floppy access, etc.)  But
when it comes to printing, only a specific "lpr" at the command prompt
(in a terminal) does the job.  I've tried printing from mozilla, ggv and
firefox without success.  The funny thing is that an app such as gedit
does print.  (I'm guessing it's because gedit uses some sort of a2ps ->
lpr combination).  I have an Epson Stylus C82 connected via a USB cable
and my system is running CUPS.  Can anyone enlighten me?  Thanks so much.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque