[CentOS] can't boot from install cd

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Mar 15 00:58:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 09:07 -0700, Richard Andrews wrote:
> We are migrating from Fermi Labs linux distro to the Centos 3.6 distro.
> So far all of the Dell's we have installed on have worked fine but we
> have two generic servers that are using Tyan Thunder K7X motherboards
> with built in Adaptec Ultra 160 SCSI using AIC7899 chipset. When we try
> to install on these systems the install cd seems to lockup loading the
> AIC7xxx driver. Adaptec says they do not support OEM embedded products
> and Tyan says that any embedded firmware is included in the bios
> upgrades which we have upgraded.
>
> We can migrate "online" by following the White-box to Centos migrate
> instructions and that works fine but it worries me that if I lost a hard
> drive in one of these systems I could not install Centos directly.
>
> Any suggestions for work arounds?

Thread is a bit stale, but 2 suggestions:

On a similar system, I installed an inexpensive ATA controller and hard
drive and then "cloned" the installed system to the SCSI drive.

May work with later CentOS versions, but I presume you have some reason
for using 3.6 so that is probably not helpful.

Phil