[CentOS] /dev/console not getting created...

James Olin Oden

james.oden at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:56:04 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I've been trying to put together a one off CentOS 4 based distro, and
I ran into some trouble.  First off just so you know we've been doing
this with CentOS 3 and with RedHat 9 before that, so the inexperience
is only with the delta between CentOS 3 and CentOS 4 (and RHEL 3 and
RHEL 4 by extension).

Anyway, the problem is that for some reason /dev/console is not
getting created.  We get completely through the installation, in what
looks like a successful manner, but when we reboot at the point init
would come up with see nothing at all, and there it sits.  I went
through many contortions including including using bash as init and
then starting init manually with strace turned on.  This all lead to
the conclusion that for some reason init was not getting a console.  I
happened to look in the dev directory between a normal minimal install
of CentOS 4 and our "minimal install" and noticed there was no
/dev/console.  I manually added this and now the system boots fine.

For now I've added the creation of /dev/console to the end of the
kickstart's %post, which works, but does anyone have any ideas why its
not being created?

Thanks...james