[CentOS] Eggcups printer icon not showing up in panel

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Mar 16 21:58:57 UTC 2006

Steve Bergman wrote:

> I did a "side grade" on a client's machine freom FC2 to Centos4.2.  I
> am not seeing the eggcups printer icon appear when the user sends a
> print job.
>
> One problem was that I had to copy /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.rpmnew into
> place so that the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable got set correctly.
>
> The messagebus service is running, as well as hal.  There is a
> notification area in the panel.  I can manually start eggcups and not
> get an error. (It returns 0).  But it immediately exits, and no
> printer icon.

I'm responding to myself just to get this in the mail archive for any
future sufferers.

The problem was that /etc/.gnome2/eggcups did not get created for
existing users.  New users are fine.  Create a new user, and copy their
eggcups file into the existing users' ~/.gnome2/ directories and all
will be fine.

Also, on an FC2 -> CentOS 4 upgrade, if you do not copy
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.rpmnew to Xsession, the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
will not get set and eggcups (and possibly other things) will complain
that it can't find the message bus or some such.

-Steve