OT: [CentOS] two tier Internet and open source

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Sat Mar 18 14:56:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 09:15 -0500, ryan wrote:
> Does anyone have any links on what Verizon/SBC's plan for a two-tier Internet
> will do to Open Source projects that need to move around large files?

Well it would probably effect the the Telcom's common carrier status
because they are no-longer just "moving bits" ... this would possibly
make them legally liable for traffic going across their networks such as
P2P.

There are some bills being talked about to force neutrality on the
carrier's part and also a some that the carriers are trying to get
introduced that would allow them to do that and not loose their common
carrier status.

Over-all bad for for the Internet and for OS because of it if the
telcoms are allowed to do that.  I doubt that it will happen, but I'm
not sure enough people know or care to keep it from happening if enough
money is thrown around by the telcoms.

Paul