[CentOS] Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the slowest of them all? CentOS

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Mar 18 16:14:53 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 March 2006 08:45, Jim Smith wrote:
> Some of the other RHEL rebuilds take one or two days, while CentOS
> takes
> 2 weeks. While i can't say if they have more than a hundred users,
> their
> speed in releasing quarterly updates is commendable.

Mr. Smith, this is quite offensive.  Each project has its own philosophy on
releases; the CentOS philosophy is to release after the internal team has
done thorough QA on the code.

Another RHEL rebuild is Scientific Linux; they have released beta ISO's as of
yesterday afternoon; however, my experience with SL is that this is likely
the first of three or four beta ISO releases before the final quarterly
update release, which typically takes (wait for it)..... two weeks, if not
more.  They just have made the process more visible.

However, spinning ISOs takes resources; Connie Sieh has the resources of
FermiLabs to do this, and uses them well, and is doing a great job.  This is
one reason I'd love to see CentOS and SL do more together; the combination of
resources would be wonderful.  Of course, there are a few differences in the
distributions, and some of those might be showstoppers.

I'm sure the SL team wouldn't mind you helping beta test their ISO's.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology