[CentOS] python 2.4.2

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Sun Mar 19 22:51:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:45:07 -0500
"Jim Perrin" <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems people want to go down this hellish road for some reason I have
> yet to understand.

I'd avoid it, but client's app demands latest stuff ...

> Messing with python can make your system angry and can affect many
> other packages like rpm and yum, so proceed with caution and backups.

Just define __python_ver to something meaningful, like "24".

> You can use pyvault if you absolutely need updated python packages, or
> you may want to consider building in /opt/ so as not to conflict with
> current system packages. Of the two, I think pyvault may be the safer
> option, but have backups anyway. Have I stressed the point about
> backups?

pyvalut src.rpm barfs even sooner than fedora's.

Anyway, I still don't get why the build process doesn't find libX11, but I found a workaround. The request to link with libX11 comes from python-2.4.1-config.patch, which I modified.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/