[CentOS] Bad repo file

Lorin B Pino ljpino at grundyec.net
Mon Mar 20 01:44:01 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 19:11 -0600, Lorin B Pino wrote:
>

>>Jim Perrin wrote:

>>>What is the error that yum gives you?
>>>

>>>--
>>>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>>>safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
>>>Benjamin Franklin 1775
>>>

>>Error: Bad repository file ///etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo.
>>Setting up Update Process
>>Setting up repositories
>>dries                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>dag                       100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>kbs-CentOS-Extras         100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>kbs-CentOS-Misc           100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>jpackage-rhel             100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>macromedia                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>jpackage-generic          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>

>>Everything works, but the repo file provided by CentOS.  I am assuming I
>>edited something wrong.  I just checked the permissions, and they are
>>the same as the other repo files.  Any ideas?  Will I get access to any
>>other programs with the CentOS repo, or is everything provided through
>>the others that are working?
>>

>---
>you didn't by some chance edit it with Windows did you?
>
>Edit it with another editor? Which editor?
>
>Craig

No!  I am transferring from Suse 9.2, and have not used windows for a
year and a half.  I found Windows ME (Multidysfunctional Edition) to be
a great reason to try something else!
 From console(after su and password), I ran nautilus.  Accessed the file
from nautilus, and edited it with gedit.  If this is a problem, I may
have to overcome my phobias and learn to edit things direct from console.
~Lorin