[CentOS] Re: centos] Safety

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Mar 20 15:56:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Sam Drinkard wrote:

> My server has not yet been updated with all the goodies and
> is still a stock 4.2 installation.  What is the consensus
> about remote updating?  Would it be better if I were to
> physically be there and do it or are things stable enough
> that I could do it remotely and then reboot.  It's kind of a
> PITA to have to go downtown to the C0-LO site, but can be
> done.

Nothing beats a local staging server with 'unusual' hardware
to test on.  That said, the Centos build team roll security
updates at once, and test non-security updates before release
(successfully dodging the current NFS issues with PNAELV 4, U
3 carry), come to mind.

If the server is slimmed down, hardened systematically, and
fairly mainline hardware, I consider it safe enough to update
on the fly.  The COLUG server is updated that way

- Russ Herrold