[CentOS] ls --author ?

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 02:06:50 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, James B. Byrne <ByrneJB at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> I ran across the --author
> option of ls but that does not seem to give me anything useful.
> [...] In fact, the output of ls --author is indistinguishable
> from that of ls by itself:

The linux manual pages for "ls" and other GNU coreutils are sometimes
deficient.  If I were the paranoid type, I'd say it was retaliation
for not always calling it "GNU/Linux".

--author
    List each file's author when producing long format directory
listings. In GNU/Hurd, file authors can differ from their owners, but
in other operating systems the two are the same.

The centos4 manual page for "ls" neither explains what the "author" is
nor mentions that the option only applies to "long format".