[CentOS] lphdisk and kickstart partitioning - laptop install

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Tue Mar 21 17:26:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Robert Moskowitz enlightened us:
> At 10:43 PM 3/20/2006, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:40:26PM -0600, Robert Moskowitz enlightened us:
> >> So I want the suspend to disk option.
> >>
> >> I have found lphdisk http://www.procyon.com/~pda/lphdisk/
> >>
> >> It says to create a primary partition of type a0
> >>
> >> How do I do this in kickstart?  Will it let me do a type?
> >>

> >> part /??? --fstype a0 --size 1058
> >>
> >> size is 1024 + 32 + 2
> >>
> >> What do I put in for the mount point?
> >>
> >> Where do I go for help?  I have exhausted google...
> >
> >I would suggest reading the documentation about kickstart, not just
> >guessing.
> >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
>
> I have spent hours reading this and trying to read 'between the
> lines' already, before I asked here...

There's nothing between the lines to read.

> >You'll notice the listing of valid fstype options, none of which are a0.
>
> yes.  that is why I turned to asking.

It's plainly stated what the options to fstype are. I'm not sure what there
was to ask.

> >I would recommend looking to %pre or %post sections to format the right
> >partition type for you with the native tools.
>
> Fine. I am even willing to run it completely after the install.  But
> what do I do for creating the partition?   Do I just do a dummy mount
> point like /suspend  ?  An fstype of ext3?  And how do I specify a
> primary partition (and do primaries have to come before ext3
> partitions?  Have not found text on this.)
>
> And then use some other tool ????  that will remove the mount point
> and change the fstype to a0 before running lphdisk?
>
> Or do I leave part of the disk not in a partition and use some other
> tool to prepare the partition for lphdisk?

Either way would work. Don't confuse partition types and filesystem types.
Primary partitions are one thing, ext3 filesystem on a partition is another.
You get 4 primary partitions, if you want more partitions than that, then
one primary partition has to be an extended partition in which you create
the other 12 logical partitions. You can put ext3 on any of these. This is
basic DOS stuff.

I'd have to check to make sure, but I'm willing to bet that parted is
available during the kickstart. I would probably use that to take care of
creating your partition in the %pre section of kickstart, then let the
kickstart disk management stuff use the rest of the disk. There are other
ways to skin the cat, a couple of which you have mentioned.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics