[CentOS] Cannot start sm-client on CentOS

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Mar 22 22:03:12 UTC 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote on Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:27:05 +0100:

> Typical reason is you broke the permissions of the sendmail binary.
> Check that it is
> $ ls -al /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
> -rwxr-sr-x  1 root smmsp 732248 21. Feb 2005
> /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail

It's exactly like this. I didn't touch any of that at all. I replaced the
sendmail.cf, though, with my own one from Suse systems with 8.12.
Everything seemed to be working fine until I installed MailScanner which
doesn't check for the existance of sm-client.pid and restarts sm-client
each time while sendmail seems to only start it when the pid file is
missing. I see if reverting to the old sendmail.cf fixes this. No, same
problem, so my sendmail.cf isn't the problem. I also found that there was
no .hoststat directory in the queue directory and sendmail barked about
that as well. Is this normal for CentOS?

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany