[CentOS] httpd not starting after 4.3 update - DONE

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Thu Mar 23 22:00:58 UTC 2006

THanks guys for trying to help with this problem.
I GAVE up. I copied everthing off for a backup and
reimaged the machine.

It's all working now.

Jerry

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 07:35 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
>// On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 01:13 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
//>/ >/ After updating to 4.3 I cant get httpd to startup.
/>/ />/ I see no messages in /var/log/message other that httpd failed.
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ I see no errors in /var/log/httpd/error_log
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ there is mention in ssl_error_log that no RSA or DSA certificate is found.
/>/ />/ I dont know what to do about that.I tried starting in the  non fork mode
/>/ />/ but all it does is give me a prompt no error message .
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ Also of note I am having issue with sshd. It starts up but I cannot connect
/>/ />/ to the machine.
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ I have been at this for a couple hours now. trying anything...
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ Jerry
/>/ /
/>/
/>/ >Please look hard at your selinux.  I suspect that is where your problems
/>/ >lie if it is turned on.
/>/
/>/ Johnny and all,
/>/
/>/ My selinux is turned off.
/>/
/>/ doing rpm -qa | grep httpd does not show duplicate packages.
/>/
/>/ Is there a way to "freshen" the new packages for 4.3. Kind of a way to reload the
/>/ packages without SCRAPPING the partition and starting from scratch? just a thought.
/>/
/>/ Is there someway to tell what httpd doesnt like? When I run httpd with options to
/>/ check config files and things like that it runs an prints a couple lines and prints
/>/ status OK. So the exe is running just not as a background process.
/>/
/>/ Thanks
/>/
/>/ Jerry
/>/
/
>/Seems to me that you had a problem generating the ssl keys for this and
/>/sshd ... (by what I read before).
/
>/Removing and reinstalling these pacakges should help.
/
I removed the httpd and openssh-* and reinstalled - still the same situation.

sshd starts but I cannot connect. keys seems to be generated. httpd will not star