[CentOS] /bin/false as a login shell

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Mar 24 00:31:20 UTC 2006

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote on Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:19:53 -0600:

> Just use it if you want.  I'd keep it out of /etc/shells.  Historically,
> some network daemons refused to authenticate users if user's shell was
> not present in /etc/shells.

Well, vsftpd still does, that's how I came about it. I have always used
/bin/false on my Suse setups (which has /bin/false in /etc/shells) and am
currently migrating the first machine to CentOS. So, I noticed the users
couldn't login via ftp unless I changed to /sbin/nologin. I decided to add
/bin/false to /etc/shells.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany