[CentOS] wmv

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:37:31 UTC 2006

On 3/24/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > No idea about helix, but I use mplayer (from the rpmforge repository)
> > with the w32codecs (not yum installable for legal reasons) and it
> > works just fine for 99% of the wmv files I deal with.
> ----
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan/20060309
>
> 99% means that you are mostly looking at tired content.

Mplayer works fine on the videos at the CA gov site that jonathan is
griping about in that blog. It works on all of CNN's videos, too.  The
only problem I have with it is that it occassionally locks up my sound
device, but it appears that "alsactl restore" brings it back.  (I
noticed that modprobe.conf does an "alsactl store".)  [This is on
CentOS 4.3 -- I'm still having problems with sound coming and going on
CentOS 3.6 on another machine.]