[CentOS] UPS Batteries

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Fri Mar 24 21:48:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:22:21AM -0800, Mark Schoonover wrote:
> edukes at alltel.net <mailto:edukes at alltel.net> tapped at Friday, March 24,
> 2006 6:21 AM:
> > This may be a really stupid question, but can a gel type marine
> > battery be used in a UPS?

> I don't think so. Gelcells are different than the sealed lead acid batteries
> found in UPS's. They have different charging requirements, and will
> discharge differently than SLAs. Probably best to purchase replacement
> batteries from the manufacturer...

I've had fine luck with off-brand batteries but always ones that were
spec'd to work with the UPS in question.

We have a local store here called "batteries plus" - it's a franchise.

They had pretty good pricing on batteries for my APC UPSes.  A bit more
than cheap website prices i found, but shipping batteries is expensive.