[CentOS] dovecot vs Cyrus-Imapd

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 25 04:02:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 17:14 -0600, Bob Pierce wrote:
> I'm just preparing to build a new mail server for use at an ISP handling
> over 10,000 mailboxes and several domains.
>
> We're currently using Qmail, but we'd like to move away from that since
> we have now changed our inbound mail systems over to Postfix.
>
> Postfix will be receiving the mail, and I'm trying to decide between
> Dovecot and Cyrus-Imapd for the POP & IMAP service.
>
> Does anybody have any advice or opinions about which of these two
> packages would be better for a large installation. I'd prefer if the
> package could tie into MySQL for user authentication, and all mailboxes
> will be virtual in the sense that they won't have local system accounts.
-----
personally, I would use cyrus - in fact, on that scale, I think you
would be making a mistake not to use cyrus or courier.

I would also use LDAP and not mysql as LDAP scales to multiple systems
in case you actually try to do more sophisticated things such as
multiple data stores on different systems and integrating into CentOS
for things like Postfix is simple whereas you are going to have to get
or do a rebuild to make it work with MySQL.

LDAP, cyrus-imapd and postfix are a perfect combination for virtual
users...MySQL is a bad idea.

Craig