[CentOS] SATA error

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Mon Mar 27 17:36:51 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 March 2006 09:24 pm, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Disable DMA to see if that results in errors as well. But it seems sda has
> uncorrectable errors.

Hi Dag,
After some researches on the net, I came upon some posting that SMART enabled
disk will keep any error it encounters in it's log/memory. So, any in my
case, it seems that the error was occuring in the past for quite some time
comparing to the online hour of the disk.

Nevertheless, I reformated sda2 and also performed a double surface scan on
it, but after half a day, it turned out to be ok. Very strange. Also
currently it runs without any error at all. I plan to monitor it for a couple
of days.

Looking at there strangeness, I suspect the errors could be caused by:
1. Electrical surge from an old UPS I used on the box
2. The temperatur of the server room is too cold? It's about 18 degree celcius
on the day, and could reach 14 degree in the night I guess. Could it be too
cold? Because currently I put the box on my desk with normal room temp around
28 degree.

I don't know. But from the research, some websites are suggesting to avoid
maxtor and wd disks.
http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=3947

http://linux2.arinet.org
00:36:46 up 42 min, 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 GNU/Linux